Saturday, December 8, 2007

Taking a small town teaching job

Things started moving rapidly for me in September of 1945. I had been discharged from the service and needed a job. The city of Renton had an opening but refused to hire me because I had a college degree. Their feeling was that I would not make a career out of police work.....and
they were absolutely right.

After a brief stint in the Police force in Port Angeles, I finally got a lunch date with the superintendent of the local school district in Sequim nearby.

Lucky for me that the town of Sequim needed a teacher and I signed a contract with them. The Super told me that I'd be teaching bookkeeping and typing - but I didn't realize he meant at the same time.

The first thing I noticed was that a glass wall divided my room into two rooms. I was to teach two classes at once. I would give a bookkeeping class an assignment then go to the next room and get the typing class started. The school could easily have lost their accreditation over a stunt like this, but they were good enough to give me a start and I was grateful - so I didn't complain.

One of my students had a musical scholarship to Bremerton Jr.College. Since she was from a poor family - the scholarship would be her only means of affording college.

She should never have gotten into the back seat of of her boyfriend's car. Pregnancy interfered with and probably terminated her college career. When the college found out she was pregnant out of wedlock, they revoked her scholarship.

The boy should have been made to make good on the medical expenses and possibly support his child.

In situations like this it seems that the girl always pays the price.

No comments: