Saturday, December 1, 2007

Wars are never won - even the winner loses

Another tale of talent from the class of Roosevelt High in the 1930s

There was one student in our class who was ugly as sin. He was short and beneath most students' notice. He occupied space - he had no friends. If anyone even knew his name, he was simply "George."

Until one day at one of the regular student assemblies we had to showcase student talent.
I was sitting in the bleachers way up in the corner. George came out on stage. He was so short he had to fiddle with the microphone and barely could get it down to his level. There was no orchestra or band to back him up. He was out there alone.

All of a sudden the most beautiful Tenor singing voice rang out - filling the auditorium with a sound so pure we thought it was part of a Celestial Choir singing down from heaven.

He first sang Una furtiva lagrima - and everyone sat in stunned and appreciative silence until he was finished.

We gave him a standing ovation. So he sang another song.

'Sometimes I feel like a motherless child'

I was able to hide my tears being so high up in the bleachers. I had been orphaned at the age of 7. I had lost both mother and father. I'm sure he had no idea that was my favorite song. I don't know why he picked it.

From that moment on he had a thousand friends. Everyone knew him. Everyone made him feel important, greeting him with smiles in the hallways. George with the Golden Voice.

High school students are a tough audience. We recognized his ability and honored him for it. He reached us through his music.

The next we heard about George, he was Killed In Action (KIA) during World War II.

I wonder if he had gone onto the battlefield singing, if the Germans could have known how rare his gift was, would the soldier who shot him still have pulled the trigger?

A little guy like George with a voice that could make the walls tremble and a high school student cry. I have heard all the greatest Tenors and his voice was equal to any I've heard.

There have been times when I wondered if he had sisters or brothers or other relatives. Did they know how much he touched us before he died? I wish I could tell them how beautiful he was despite his outward appearance.

Some men talk about how war made them important - as heroes, or officers or leaders of men.

Wars take such a heavy toll - taking away men before they have had their chance to make a difference. Men who could have changed the world with the rest of their lives - as inventors or scientists.

When we add up the cost of winning, how can we actually say we won anything?

8 comments:

Ravi said...

I think you are very right about war. The people who start wars are never the people who die in them. The people who start wars are lucky to have lived their lives and fulfill their potential... and thats a gift worth passing on.

MarkoPolo said...

Wow touching story - I think that everyone has that 'secret voice somewhere' - a talent that those around them may never know, and sadly others who go through their whole life and never find theirs.

I hope your story reaches the loved ones of the singer - have you tried to contact the family at all by searching for him on the 'net? Might be worthwhile even to just pass on as many thoughts as you've shared in this post.

ffelsl said...

Even if George's family never knows, the story has been passed along. Thanks Old School.

War is as much of our existance as art.

Seklaaw65 said...

The costs of war are never truly understood. All I know is that they are a lot higher than they are ever claimed to be.

btw Aristi, between 4th grade and high school you moved from CA to Seattle. What brought that about? Moving that far back then must have been quite a story as well. What was it like?

Shannon McKelden said...

That's a great story! I saw something very similar recently on a literary agent's blog. It was from the UK version of American Idol. The contestant came out, saying he was going to sing opera. He was homely and without any self-confidence at all. The judges seemed to silently agree he would be wasting their time.

Until he opened his mouth to sing. I had the same sensation of tears you did with George. You can see the clip here:

http://pubrants.blogspot.com/2007/11/dreams-can-come-true.html

I think you will enjoy it!

Jay said...

Amazing story about George. That kind of talent become meaningless in war when Golden Voice George becomes just another body. You think we would have evolved past the need to wage war...

Aristi said...

Most people think of me as sweet and lovable but,if the truth were known, I have a attitude problem. For instance,I am strongly in favor of conscription.
Once in uniform the military can begin to work on you. They will fix yor teeth and anything else that needs fixing. At the end of your tour of duty you will be a better person. I guarantee it.

ffelsl said...

While I don't know if I'm for conscription anymore, I do think that civil service should be mandatory. Military service would be a possible choice.